Rankin County is named for Christopher Rankin, who was a member of the United State House of Representatives.
Created: February 4, 1828
Brandon 1828 – present
County Courthouse – Brandon
Location: 211 East Government Street / North Street
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Italian Renaissance and Classical Revival
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet, Sr. of Jackson
Contractor: Beckelheimer & Small
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on a rise on landscaped grounds. The south front has a central section with entrance on the east and west side with small iron rail balcony above.. In the center are three windows with arched windows on the second story. The third story has small windows. The front has decorative terra cotta work. The east and west wings are lower. The building has a red colored tile sloped roof. The rear addition on the north side was constructed in 1955 to 1957. The architect was Overstreet, Ware & Ware and the contractor was Campbell Construction Company,
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Tippah County and Webster County.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1853 burned in 1924.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Rankin County Courthouse
County Justice Center – Brandon
Location: 215 East Government Street / Timber Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: Dean and Dean / Associated Architects
Contractor: Evan Johnson & Sons Construction. Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the east side of the courthouse. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with large window above on the second story. Vertical dividers separate narrow vertical windows. The first story has square openings with arched windows above on the second story. A lower wing extends from the west side. The building has sloped red colored title roofs.
County Juvenile Justice Center – Pelahatchie
Location: 100 Court Cove / Industrial Road
Built: 2010 – 2011
Architect: JBHM Architects ( Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel )
Contractor: Evan Johnson & Sons Construction. Inc. of Pearl
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The southwest front has a projecting central section with glass panel entrance with concrete tower rising two stories. A wide canopy supported by metal columns runs along the front. The main building which is faced with buff colored brick runs east and west. The roof line is flat.
N – Madison County
S – Simpson County
W – Hinds County
Photos taken 2012 and 2017