Tippah County is named for the Native American word meaning “cut off”, or named after Tippah wife of Pontotoc.
Created: February 9, 1836
Ripley 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Ripley
Location: 205 West Spring Street / Main Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Style: Spanish Revival
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson
Contractor: Beckelheimer & Small.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a projecting center section with three large high arches. The recessed entrance has a small pediment above. On the second story are three square windows. Flanking the arches are two columns rising to statues of soldiers. The west side has a similar facade. The north and south wings have a narrow horizontal white band running below the roof line. The roof is sloped. The sculptor was White Stone Company.
Note: The original log courthouse was replaced in 1838 by a brick structure, which was burned by Union troops in 1864. The previous courthouse was designed by George W Patrick and built in 1870. he building was destroyed by fire in 1928.
See: The courthouse is similar in design to the Prentiss County courthouse also designed by Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson and who also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Rankin County and Webster County.
County Chancery Court Building – Ripley
Location: NE – West Spring Street / North Main Street
Built: 1956 – 1957
Architect: T H Johnston, Jr.
Contractor: Andrew Bortick. ( construction superintendent )
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a recessed glass panel entrance. A wide white colored horizontal band runs below the flat roof line. The building was constructed for the Peoples Bank. In 2000, the building was remodeled to house the Chancery Court. The architect was George A Thomason of Olive Branch and the contractor was S & S Construction Company. Inc.
N – Hardeman County, Tennessee
S – Union County
W – Benton County
County Chancery Court Building
Photos taken 2012 and 2017