Alcorn County is named for James L Alcorn, who was a Governor of the State of Mississippi.
Created: April 15, 1870
Corinth 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Corinth
Location: 600 East Waldron Street / Franklin Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson
Contractor: E G Parish Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large porch with six columns rising to a wide header which has six short pillars rising to the roof line. There are three entrances with large windows above on the second story. There are lower east and west wings. White horizontal bands run below the first story windows and above the second story windows. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. The building was renovated in 2003. The architect was George A Thompson of Olive Branch and the contractor was T L & C Construction, Inc. of Corinth.
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Rankin County, Tippah County and Webster County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Alfred Zucher and built in 1880. The building burned in 1917.
Jacinto Courthouse – Jacinto
Location: 3568 County Road 367 / Highway 356
Built: 1852 – 1854
Architect: J J Blythe
Contractor: J J Blythe
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscapred grounds. There are central doors on the west and east sides. On the center of the roof is a tall octagonal white cupola with green dome. The building served as the Tishomingo County courthouse from 1854 to 1870. The boundary of the county changed and the building is located in Alcorn County. From 1870 to 1908, the building was used as a school housing the Jacinto Hale Academy. From 1908 to 1960, the building was used to house a Methodist Church. The building now houses the Jacinto Foundation and is a regional historical museum.
Note: By 1852, Tishomingo County needed a new courthouse to replace the one built in 1841. J J Blythe was hired to build the new brick courthouse. The county agreed to pay exactly $6,798. Blythe’s contract stated that the building have outer walls to be 18 inches thick and inner walls to be 13 inches thick, The dimensions of the building were to be 40 feet by 56 feet with two stories topped by an octagonal shaped belfry. The bricks were hand-made and hand-hewn. The foundation was made of hand-cut stone. At the completion in 1854, the extra sum of $200 was spend on copper gutters, $25 for a lightening rod and $26.72 for a carpet in the courtroom.
Note: J J Blythe also built a similar but larger courthouse in Itwamba County in 1852 to 1854.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jacinto County Courthouse ( Old Tishomingo County Courthouse )
S – Prentiss County
W – Tippah County
Photos taken 2012