Grenada County is named for the City of Grenada in Spain.
Created: AMay 9, 1870
Grenada 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Grenada
Location: 16 1st Street / Green Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Pritchard & Nickles
Contractor: F L Means Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front has vertical red colored brick dividers with windows between. The entrance is on the east side of a lower section on the north side. The entrance is recessed with two high vertical windows on the second story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first Grenada County courthouse was an old storehouse which the county purchased for $3,000 in 1870 and used until 1833. In 1878, the county was struck by a yellow fever epidemic. The second Grenada County courthouse was built in 1883-1884 at a cost of $17,575. It remained in use for almost 80 years until it was torn down so a new courthouse could be built on the same site.
Photos taken 2012