Oktibbeha County is named for the Native American word meaning “bloody water”.
Created: December 23, 1833
Starkville 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Starkville
Location: 101 East Main Street / North Washington Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Thomas Henry Johnson Jr. and Associates and Thomas O Wakeman
Contractor: Ralph Hewlett Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico with four white columns rising to a pediment. The door is framed with small pediment above. There is a small balcony on the second story. The windows have green colored shutters. The roof is sloped.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by R H Hunt and constructed by Lindamond & Puckett in 1901.
E – Lowndes County
Photos taken 2012