Prentiss County is named for Sargent S Prentiss, who was on orator in the State of Mississippi.
Created: April 15, 1870
Booneville 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Booneville
Location: 101 North Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Spanish Revival
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucy
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story buff-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northwest front has a projecting center section with five high arches, There is a recessed entrance. Above the arches is the third story with vertical pilasters and a clock at the center. The roof is hipped. There are a northeast and southwest two story wings. The building was renovated in 1990. The architect was George A Thomason and the contractor was S & S Construction Company. The building was further renovated in 2004 to 2005. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects of Eupora and the contractor was Most Construction, Inc. of Tupelo.
Note: The first court met in a store owned by Peter W Nash and Mary C Fields. In 1874, J F Gresham and G W Patrick received the contract to built the first courthouse at a cost of $15,850. In 1904 to 1905, Andrew J Bryan designed the second courthouse which was constructed by A D McArthur and L Lemore of Meridian at a cost of $41,090. The building burned in 1924 and Noah Webster Overstreet was hired as architect for the repair and restoration of the building. The contract was given to M T Lewman & Company at a cost of $47,609. The building still has the 1904 cornerstone.
See: The courthouse is similar in design to the Tippah County courthouse also designed by Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson. and who also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Rankin County and Webster County.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
County Chancery Court Building – Booneville
Location: 100 North Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Louis A Simmons
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete Federal style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city.The southeast front has a curved porch with white framed entrance. A concrete horizontal band runs below the roof line. The roof is hipped and has a square cupola in the center. The build was constructed as a Post Office. The building is located across the street fron the courthouse and houses the county office.
N – Alcorn County
County Chancery Court Building
Photos taken 2012, 2015 and 2017