Pipestone County is named after the sacred Dakota quarry of red pipestone found in the county and used in the making of ceremonial pipes.
Created: May 23, 1857
Pipestone 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Pipestone
Location: 416 South Hiawatha Avenue / 3rd Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: George Pass of Pass & Schippel of Mankato
Contractor: C H Peltier of Faribault
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of the city and constructed of pink colored Sioux quatzite. At the north front is a square Renaisance tower topped by a bronze figure of Justice. The building has a raised basement and high attic with dormers. Inside, the building is finished with elaborate hard oak woodwork. On the south side is a 1975 to 1977 addition constructed of painted cinder block. The architect and contractor was The Spitznagel Partners Inc.
Note: The court business was conducted from the sheriff’s residence built in 1895 until the present courthouse was built. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $45,175.
N – Lincoln County
E – Murray County
S – Rock County
W – Moody County, South Dakota
Photos taken 2007 and 2017