Jackson County

US States / M / Minnesota / Jackson County
Jackson

Jackson County is named for Henry Jackson, who was the first merchant in Saint Paul and a member of the first territorial legislature.

 

Created:  May 23, 1857

County Seat:

Jackson  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jackson

 

Location:  405   4th Street / Sherman Street

Built:  1908 – 1909

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Buechner and Orth of Minneapolis

Contractor:  Charles Skooglun of Saint Paul

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story gray colored Bedford limestone structure. The building is located on spacious sloped landscaped grounds. The high segmented dome is topped by a cast-metal statue of Justice. On the east front, monumental stone columns rise to a pediment. The symmetrical pavilions reflect the classicism of civic buildings at that time. The building is 80 feet by 120 feet. Inside is a central octagonal atrium with murals. There is a stained glass ceiling at the top of the dome.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed and built by T L Twilford of Spirit Lake in 1871 to 1873. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $117,435.

 

See:  The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.

 

County Government Center – Jackson

 

469m17

 

Location:  405   4th Street / Sherman Street

Built:  2010 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wold Architects and Engineers

Contractor:  Contegrity Group. Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and

Courthouses:  

N – Cottonwood County

E – Martin County

S – Emmet County, Iowa, Dickinson County, Iowa and Osceola County, Iowa

W – Nobles County

 

 

 

481f07

 

 

483f07

 

 

484f07

 

 

488f07

 

 

486f07

 

 

487f07

 

 

460m17

 

 

461m17

 

 

462m17

 

 

463m17

 

 

464m17

 

 

465m17

 

466m17

 

 

485f07

 

 

470m17

 

 

471m17

 

 

473m17

Photos taken 2007 and 2917