Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois from 1847 to1849 and President of the United States from 1861 to 1865.
Created: March 6, 1873
Marshfield 1873 – 1883
Lake Benton 1883 – 1901
Ivanhoe 1901 – 1903
Lake Benton 1903 – 1904
Ivanhoe 1904 – present
County Courthouse – Ivanhoe
Location: 319 North Rebecca Street / West Saxon Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: C Howard Parson of Minneapolis
Contractor: Madsen and Peterson of Minneapolis.
Description: The building faces faces east and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city and constructed of smooth bluff Kasota limestone and Kettle River sandstone. A projecting central pavilion on the east front is centered by a high portico with smooth Ionic columns that reach two stories to a pediment on which a stone eagle rests. The first story is sandstone coursed in horizontal bands to form a base form the levels above, which are divided into bays by shallow pilasters. A wide frieze is topped by a cornice and stone parapet.
Note: The first court was held in a store building in Marshfield in 1873. A building was rented from the Chicago Northwestern Railroad in 1887. In 1901. The court was held at the Wilson Opera House in Ivanhoe. In 1904, the first courthouse was built. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $200,000.
E – Lyon County
S – Pipestone County
Photos taken 2007 and 2017