Nobles County is named for William H Nobles, who was a member of the territorial legislature in 1854 and 1856.
Created: May 23, 1857
Worthington 1857 – present
County Administration – Worthington
Location: 315 10th Street / 3rd Avenue
Built: 1974 – 1978
Architect: A J Berreau & Associates Inc.
Contractor: Hudson Brothers General Construction – Phaase I 1974 – 1976
Loeffel-Enstrand Company – Phase II 1976 – 1978
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story and two story castle-like concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The three buildings are spread along the slight slope of the square. An outdoor plaza is sheltered by their walls. Granite, oak paneling, and fabric finishes the interior of the building. The building has a smooth gray colored granite face cut in tall blocks and which play against the texture of small granite squares, which face the topless towers bulging from the building sides. The main floors jut out above the foundation in and along the top edge. The northeast section is two story building with no windows on the south side. The west section is one story building with a glass atrium connecting the sections. The building is named as the Nobles County Government Center. The building was constructed in two phases. In 2017, the building was renovated. The architect was Falls Architect of Sioux Falls, South Dakota and the contractor was Ideal Landscape of Worthington.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1877 at a cost of $1,124. The previous courthouse was designed by Albert Bryon and constructed by J D Carroll in 1894 at a cost of $42,469. The building was remodeled in 1954 and demolished when the present courthouse was constructed. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $3,600,000. Construction was completed in three stages.
County Justice Center – Worthington
Location: 1530 Airport Road / Highway 59
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Steve Johnson, Vetter-Johnson Architects of Minneapolis
Contractor: E & V Consultants and Construction Managers
Description: The building faces north and is a one story concrete and red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the city and is “L” shaped with a north wing and a long east wing and is called the Prairie Justice Center. The main entrance with high curved roof atrium is along the west side at the junction of the north wing. A curved portico is over the doorway.
N – Murray County
E – Jackson County
S – Osceola County, Iowa
W – Rock County
County Government Center
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2017