Murray County

US States / M / Minnesota / Murray County
Murray

Murray County is named for William Pitt Murray, who was a member of the territorial legislature from 1852 to 1855, state senator and Saint Paul city Councilor.

 

Created:  May 23, 1857

County Seat:

Slayton  1857 – present

 

County Administration – Slayton

 

Location:  2500 28th Street / Broadway Avenue

Built:  1981 – 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  The Spitzhagel Partners Inc. of Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Delpro Construction of Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Contractor:  SWesta Builders, Inc. of Marshall

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story concrete and red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The Administration Building forms the north part of the Murray County Government Center. The interior has a center atrium with skylight. the roof line is flat.

 

County Courthouse – Slayton

 

471f07

 

Location:  2500 28th Street / Broadway Avenue

Built:  1973 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stegner, Hendrickson, McNutt and Sullivan of Marshall

Contractor:  Blum-Carlson Construction Company of Blooming Prairie

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story concrete and red colored brick structure. There are recessed areas with windows and doorways. The old courtroom from the previous courthouse was reconstructed in the building. The roof line is flat. The Court House forms the south part of the Murray County Government Center.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Thayer and constructed by Leek & McLeod in 1892.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lyon County and Redwood County

E – Cottonwood County

S – Nobles County

W – Pipestone County

 

 

 

465f07

 

 

466f07

 

 

467f07

 

 

468f07

 

 

470f07

 

 

469f07

 

 

472f07

 

 

473f07

Photos taken 2007