Martin County is named for either Henry Martin, who was a prominent landowner from Connecticut or Morgan Lewis Martin, who was a delegate to Congress.
Created: May 23, 1857
Fairmont 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Fairmont
Location: 201 Lake Avenue / East 1st Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles E Bell and Meno S Detweiler of Minneapolis
Contractor: J B Nelson
Description: The building faces east and is a three story structure which sits on a hill overlooking Lake Sisseton on the west side. The building is located on landscaped grounds. Rusticated Marquette rain-drop sandstone in a reddish hue from Michigan, forms the first story. The second and third stories are built with smooth, buff-coloured Bedford limestone. On the east front, the main door is flanked by polished double Corinthian columns and topped by a complete entablature with a broken segmental arched pediment. A cornice and balustrade conceal a low-pitched roof. The neo-class detailing carries through to the central metal-domed tower 58 feet above the roofline, with a large clock on each of its four sides. The building is 79 feet by 116 feet. Inside are murals, metalwork, marble-topped counters and stained glass. On the north side is the Martin County Security Building constructed in 1974.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The first courthouse was built by W W Carrington in 1862 at a cost of $200. The second courthouse was built by J A Smith in 1882. At a cost of $14,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $125,000.
E – Faribault County
W – Jackson County
Photos taken 2007 and 2017