Faribault County

US States / M / Minnesota / Faribault County
503F07

Faribault County is named for Jean Baptiste Faribault, who was the first white settler to farm in Minnesota and was a major figure in trade with the Dakotas from 1830 to 1860.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Blue Earth County and Waseca County 

E – Freeborn County

S – Winnebago County, Iowa and Kossuth County, Iowa

W – Martin County

 

Created:  February 20, 1855                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Faribault County

County Seat:

Blue Earth 1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Blue Earth

 

Location:  415 North Main Street / West 4th Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  C S Dunham of Burlington, Iowa

Contractor:  S J Hoban of Saint Paul

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blue Earth. The stone for the high base is rusticated limestone from the Kasota quarry. At the southeast corner is a seven story tower. The roof is clay tile, decorations are terra cotta, and columns on the tower and loggia above the double arched east front entrance are made of granite. The Syrian arches of the entrance rest on squat columns with foliated capitals. A gargoyle in the form of a satyr’s head was placed above and between the arches. Inside is golden oak woodwork and stained glass transoms. There is a spiral stair in the rear tower. A west wing was added in 1974. In 2017 to 2018, the building was renovated. The architect was I&S Group and the contractor was Met-Con Construction and Ankeny Builders.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Faribault County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Blue Earth was selected as the county seat. The court met at several locations until the first courthouse was built in 1872 at a cost of $5,000. The courthouse was a two story brick structure and was razed when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1891 to 1892 at a cost of $70,000. The cost of construction of the west wing was $485,000.

 

 

504f07

County Courthouse – Blue Earth

 

 

506f07

 

 

505f07

 

 

507f07

 

 

508f07

 

 

501m17

 

 

502m17

 

 

503m17

 

 

504m17

 

 

505m17

 

 

513m17

 

 

509m17

 

 

510m17

 

 

511m17

 

 

512m17

Photos taken 2007 and 2017