Kiowa County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Kiowa County
Kiowa

Kiowa County is named for the Kiowa Native American tribe who resided in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Edwards County

E – Pratt County and Barber County

S – Comanche County

W – Clark County and Ford County

 

Created:  March 25, 1886                       Map of Kansas highlighting Kiowa County

County Seat:

Greensburg  1886 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greensburg 

 

Location:  211 Florida Avenue / South Oak Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison

Contractor:  St. Joseph Construction Company of Hutchinson

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Greensburg.. The building has a raised stone basement and has a recessed center section with porch supported by eight high columns rising to the wide header below the roofline. The windows are large squares of block glass which were replaced after the tornado. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 16th Judicial District. The building was damaged by a tornado in 2007 and was remodeled in 2009. 

 

See: The architect, William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison, designed courthouses in Barton County, Brown County, Osage County, Pawnee County, Reno County, Wallace County and Wichita County.

 

Note:  On May 4, 2007, Greensburg was severely damaged by a tornado and the courthouse was repaired and remodeled in 2009. The architect was McCluggage  Van Sickle & Perry and the contractor was Coonrod & Associates Construction Company, Inc.

 

See:  The 16th Judicial District includes Clark County, Comanche County, Ford CountyGray County and  Meade County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1886 and Greensburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse in 1888 was a building rented from H C Copper at Main Street and Florida Street. In 1892, the second courthouse was the Bank of Greensburg Building, a three story brick structure rented from C W Myers at the same corner. Court was held in the Opera House when required. In 1899, the building was purchased at a cost of $2,300. The courthouse burned in 1913 and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1913 to 1914 at a cost of $43,567. The courthouse was rebuilt in 2009 after a tornado.

 

 

188texas06

County Courthouse before 2009 tornado damage

 

 

2009cs10

County Courthouse – Greensburg

 

 

2012cs10

 

 

2011cs10

 

 

2013cs10

 

 

2014cs10

 

 

2016cs10

 

 

2015cs10

 

 

x_16

 

 

x2

Photos taken 2006 and 2010