Reno County is named for Jesse L Reno, who was the Commander of the Union 9th Army Corps and who was killed at the Battle of South Mountain on September 14, 1862.
Created: February 26, 1867
Hutchinson 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Hutchinson
Location: 206 West 1st Street / North Adams Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison
Contractor: Blaser & Vollmer of Wichita
Description: The building faces west and is a six story buff brick, Carthage limestone, Bedford limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section of the first story with large arch at the recessed entrance. Behind rises a high central section with vertical windows framed with stone. The east and west wings are tiered on each story. The first and second stories are a large hall and the courtrooms are located on the third story. On the west side is a one story buff colored brick addition housing the City County Law Enforcement Center constructed in 1971. The architect was Miller, Witt, Dronger, Abbott and Walker and the contractor was L R Foy Construction Company of Hutchinson.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Reno County Courthouse
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by D T DePry and built in 1902. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $513,000.
Picture 1902 County Courthouse
County Law Enforcement Center
Photos taken 2010 and 2016