Linn County is named for Lewis F Linn, who was a doctor and a United States Senator from Missouri.
Created: August 30, 1855
Various towns 1859 – 1885
Mound City 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Mound City
Location: 315 Main Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1885 – 1886
Architect: George Ropes of Topeka
Contractor: Z Mentzer ( supervisor )
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has an arched window above the doorway with stone above and a large arched window on the second story. The front rises to a peak with a square white tower behind having a steep roof. Along the east and west sides are three dormers on each side. The base of the building is gray stone.
Note: During construction, J W L Bell did the excavation work, G W Goodlander of Fort Scott laid the foundation, John T Trigg of Centerville, Iowa did the brick work and Z Mentzer was the superintend and purchaser of materials. The cost of construction was $20,0000.
See: The building is the fourth oldest courthouse in Kansas. The oldest courthouse is located in Chase County (1873), second oldest in Pottawatomie County (1884) and the third oldest in Gove County (1885).
See: National Register of Historic Places – Linn County Courthouse
County Judicial Building – Mound City
Location: 316 Chestnut Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Kansas Steel-Built Inc. of Topeka
Contractor: Kansas Steel-Built Inc. of Topeka
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. A ripple concrete skirt descends from the flat roof line. The courthouse is located on the north side of the building.
North – Miami County
East – Bates County, Missouri
South – Bourbon County
West – Anderson County
Photos taken 2009