Ford County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Ford County
Ford

Ford County is named for James Hobart Ford, who was a Union general during the American Civil War.

 

Created:  February 26, 1867

County Seat:

Dodge City  1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dodge City 

 

Location:  100 Gunsmoke Street / Central Avenue

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Reuel A Curtis

Contractor:  George A Shaul.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has porticoes on three sides, each supported by four columns with a pediment at the roof line. A protruding cornice follows the roof line. The base of the building has horizontal stonework. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1992 to 1993. The contractor was Rhoads Construction Company, Inc.

 

Note:  The first court met in a rented premise. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure constructed by H S Sitler at the corner of Spruce Avenue and Central Avenue in 1876 at a cost of $8,000. The cost of construction of the second and present courthouse was $100,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hodgeman County

E – Edwards County and Kiowa County

S – Clark County and Meade County

W – Gray County

 

 

 

0452nm16

County Courthouse

 

 

0450nm16

 

 

163texas06

 

 

0453nm16

 

 

0455nm16

 

 

0457nm16

 

 

0458nm16

 

 

0459nm16

 

 

0460nm16

 

 

0461nm16

 

 

0462nm16

Photos taken 2006 and 2016