Clark County is named for Charles F Clark, who was the captain of Company F, Sixth Kansas Cavalry and who died At Memphis on December 10, 1864.
Created: February 26, 1867
Clark City 1885
Ashland 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 913 South Highland Street / 9th Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Glen H Thomas and A B Harris of Wichita
Contractor: D C Bass and Sons of Enid, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a projecting stone faced center section with glass entrance. The windows run in a series of three windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by W R Parsons & Son and constructed by J M Anderson 1n 1888. The building was remodeled in 1932.
N – Ford County
W – Meade County
Photos taken 2010