Meade County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Meade County
Meade

Meade County is named for General George G Meade ( 1815-1872 ), Union army general and the victor at Gettysburg during the Civil War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Gray County and Ford County

E – Clark County

S – Beaver County, Oklahoma

W – Seward County and Haskell County

 

Created:  March 20, 1873                       Map of Kansas highlighting Meade County

County Seat:

Meade  1885 – present

 

County Courthouse – Meade  

 

Location:  200 North Fowler Street / Belle Meade Street

Built:  1928

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Fred S Hopper

Contractor:  Louis Riggs

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story light patterned red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Meade. On the west front are six large white colored fluted Doric columns rising from the first floor to the second story. On the third story is white stone above the columns. The windows on the third floor are small. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 16th Judicial District.

 

See:  The 16th Judicial District includes Clark County, Comanche County, Ford County Kiowa County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Meade was selected as the county seat in 1885. From 1881 to 1885, the county was attached to Ford County for judicial purposes. The first courthouse was a two story building purchased in Carthage and moved to Meade in 1886. The courthouse was located on Meade Center Avenue just south of the Southern Hotel. The second courthouse was a two story brick and stone structure designed by Willis A Ritchie and erected by Daniel Gerow in 1888 to 1889. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 at a cost of $90,000.

 

 

2000cs10

County Courthouse – Meade

 

 

0419nm07

 

 

0420nm07

 

 

2003cs10

 

 

2001cs10

 

 

2005cs10

 

 

2004cs10

 

 

x_7

Cornerstone 1888 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2007 and 2010