Barber County is named for Thomas W Barber, who was a Free State settler in Douglas County and who was killed near Lawrence on December 6, 1855.
Created: February 26, 1867
Medicine Lodge 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Medicine Lodge
Location: 120 East Washington Avenue / South Walnut Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Brinkman & Hagan of Emporia
Contractor: Frank E Blaser Construction Company of Wichita Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and light colored concrete structure. The south front has a central entrance flanked by black colored stone and recessed glass doorway. On the east and west sides are vertical concrete dividers with recessed windows. On either end is red colored brick. The roof line is flat.
Note: The old courthouse was designed by Willis A Ritchie and constructed in 1887.
Photos taken 2010