Osage County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Osage County
Osage

Osage County is named for the Osage River which is named after the French corruption of the name of the Native American tribe “Washazhe”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Shawnee County

E – Douglas County and Franklin County 

S – Coffey County

W – Lyon County and Wabaunsee County

 

Created:  February 11, 1859                   Map of Kansas highlighting Osage County

County Seat:

Lyndon  1859 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lyndon 

 

Location:  717 Topeka Street / West 8th Street

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison

Contractor:  Montgomery S Green of Manhattan

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff brick, limestone and reinforced concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Lyndon. The west front has limestone facing on the first story with an arch at the central entrance. Four large columns rise from the second story to a wide header at the top of the third story. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the east side of the third story. The walls have marble base and flat plaster wainscoting separated from the ornamental plaster upper walls by an ornamental plaster chair rail. The ornamental plaster walls culminate in a decorative plaster frieze with alternating wheat shocks and rosettes. The building houses the County District Court of the 4th Judicial District. 

 

Note: The architect, William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison, designed courthouses in Baton County, Brown County, Kiowa County, Pawnee CountyReno County, Wallace County and Witchita County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Osage County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Anderson County, Coffey County and Franklin County

 

History:  The county was created in 1859 and Lyndon was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected by private investors, the Lyndon Improvement Company, in 1887. The courthouse was demolished and the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1922 and 1923.

 

 

2386m09

County Courthouse – Lyndon

 

 

2383m09

 

 

2384m09

 

 

2385m09

 

 

2387m09

 

 

2388m09

Photos taken 2009