Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who was a senator and presidential candidate from Michigan.
Created: January 15, 1851
Lewis 1853 – 1869
Atlantic 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Atlantic
Location: 5 West 7th Street / Chestnut Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Dougher, Rich and Woodburn of Des Moines
Contractor: C C Larsen & Sons Company of Council Bluffs
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is trimmed with Indiana limestone. The north front has a small overhang at the first story entrance. Above are three recessed window areas on the second and third stories. The east and west wings are one story and extend from the main building.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1869. The second courthouse was designed by John Cochrane and built in 1888. The building was destroyed by fire in 1932. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $119,000.
E – Adair County
Photos taken 2008