Adams County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Adams County
Adams

Adams County is named for John Adams, who was the second President of the United States of America, or for John Quincy Adams, who was the sixth President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Cass County and Adair County

E – Union County

S – Taylor County

W – Montgomery County

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Adams County

County Seat:

Quincy   1853 – 1872

Corning  1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Corning

 

Location:  901 Davis Avenue / 9th Street

Built:  1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Thomas W Williamson and Victor Loebsack and Associates

Contractor:  M W Watson

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Corning. There is a small portico at the south entrance with a large window above. Vertical concrete dividers separate the windows. The entrance is on the first story. At the south center, stairs descend to the former ground story entrance. The Board of Supervisors Meeting Room is located on the northwest side of the ground story. The County Magistrate Court is located on the east side of the first story. The two County District Court courtrooms are located on the north side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 5B Judicial District. The building was remodeled and exterior changed in 1989 to 1990. On the north side is the old two story County Sheriff Residence and Jail built in 1877.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Quincy was selected as the county seat in 1853. The first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1854. The building was torn down in 1932. The county seat was moved to Corning in 1872 and the second courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1873. The courthouse burned on February 1, 1888. The third courthouse was a Queen Anne style structure designed by S E Maxon and constructed by Allan H Chaffee at a cost of $28,183 in 1888 to 1890. The building was razed in 1955. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1955 at a cost of $218,635. The cost of the 1989 to 1990 remodel was $850,000.

  

 

698i24

County Courthouse – Corning

 

 

0666i08

 

 

0665i08

 

 

700i24

 

 

701i24

 

 

702i24

 

 

703i24

 

 

705i24

 

 

706i24

 

 

707i24

County Magistrate Court courtroom

 

 

708i24

County District Court courtroom

 

 

709i24

 

 

710i24

 

 

712i24

 

 

713i24

 

 

714i24

 

 

716i24

Picture First County Courthouse

 

 

717i24

Second County Courthouse

 

 

718i24

Third County Courthouse

 

 

719i24

Fourth County Courthouse before alteration

 

 

720i24

 

 

0669i08

 

 

721i24

Old Sheriff Residence and Jail – Corning

 

 

722i24

 

 

723i24

Photos taken 2008 and 2024