Harrison County is named for William H Harrison, who was the ninth President of the United States of America.
Created: January 15, 1851
Magnolia 1851 – 1876
Logan 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Logan
Location: 111 North 2nd Avenue / East 7th Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Joseph E Mills of Detroit, Michigan
Contractor: W J McAlpine
Description: The building faces east and is a three story Bedford limestone and buff colored structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has a large rectangular protruding portico with recessed windows on the second and third stories. The north and south wings extend from the main building. The base of the building is course stone. On the center of the roof is square dome which is 77 feet from the ground. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1854 in Magnolia. The second courthouse was built in 1873 and the third courthouse was built in Logan by Yelsley & Stowell in 1876 at a cost of $14,000. The cost of construction of the present and fourth courthouse was $103,000 and the courthouse is made of 672,000 bricks.
Old County Courthouse – Magnolia
Location: Locust Street / Main Street
Description: The building faces west and is one story red colored brick structure. The building was used as a courthouse until 1876 when the county seat was moved to Logan.
E – Shelby County
Photos taken 2008