Adair County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Adair County
Adair

Adair County is named for John Adair, who was a general in the War of 1812 and eighth governor of Kentucky.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Guthrie County

E – Madison County

S – Union County and Adams County

W – Cass County

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Adair County

County Seat:

Fontanelle  1856 – 1874

Greenfield  1874 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greenfield

 

Location:  400 Public Square / Iowa Street & 1st Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  S E Maxon

Contractor:  H P Wind

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of Greenfield. The east front has a one story portico with three stone trimmed arches. Above is an arched window with a third story dormer and behind it a higher peaked roof. The base of the building is course white colored stone. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the hallways are arched and the stairs are wood. The County District Court courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 5B Judicial District. On the west side is an addition.

 

See:  The architect S E Maxon also designed the courthouse in Fremont County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Adair County Courthouse

 

See:  The 5B Judicial District includes Clarke CountyDecatur CountyLucas County, Ringold County, Taylor CountyUnion County and Wayne County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Fontanelle was selected as the county seat in 1856. The first courthouse was a small two story structure built in Fontanelle in 1856. The building was later used as a school and burned in 1910. The county seat was moved to Greenfield in 1874 and the second courthouse was a two story frame structure built in in 1874 at a cost of $8,000. The courthouse burned in 1889. An opera house served as the third courthouse. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1891 to 1892 at a cost of $26,768.

 

 

562i24

County Courthouse – Greenfield

 

 

563i24

 

 

566i24

 

 

567i24

 

 

0677i08

A

 

 

0678i08_0

 

 

0679i08

 

 

x1_0

 

 

2461mk23

 

 

2462mk23

 

 

2463mk23

 

 

568i24

 

 

569i24

 

 

570i24

 

 

571i24

 

 

574i24

County District Court courtroom

 

 

572i24

 

 

575i24

 

 

578i24

 

 

580i24

 

 

0680i08

 

 

0681i08

 

 

0682i08

 

 

0684i08

Opera House – Greenfield

 

 

2465mk23

Photos taken 2008, 2023 and 2024