Mills County is named for Frederick Mills, who was a lawyer and an officer in the Mexican War, and who was killed at the Battle of Cherubusco in 1847.
Created: January 15, 1851
Glenwood 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Glenwood
Location: 418 Sharp Street / Vine Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: B H Backlund and Associates
Contractor: Eldon Butler
Description: The building faces south and is a two story square concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The south front has a small glass enclosed portico. The building has a Spanish style red colored tile roof. Colored panels are placed between the windows. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857 at a cost of $40,000. An addition was constructed by W S Doan in 1910. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $319,038.
S – Fremont County
Photos taken 2008