Pottawattamie County is named for the Pottawattamie Native American people who resided in the area.
Created: February 21, 1848
Council Bluffs 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Council Bluff
Location: 227 South 6th Street / 5th Avenue
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Hollis and Miller
Contractor: A Borchman Sons Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a recessed entrance on the east side. Vertical brick dividers ascend to the fifth story which is solid brick. White colored concrete siding is below the brickwork. An east wing of two stories extends eastwards. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1848 and was abandoned for rented premises. The second courthouse was built in 1868 at a cost of $42,000. The third courthouse was designed by Eckel & Mann and constructed by Wickham Brothers in 1885 to 1888 at a cost of $141,800.
E – Cass County
Photos taken 2008