Scott County is named for Winfield Scott, who was the presiding officer at the signing of the peace treaty ending the Black Hawk War.
Created: December 21, 1837
Davenport 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Davenport
Location: 400 West 4th Street / Scott Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Dougher, Rich & Woodburn
Contractor: Arthur Ebeling Associates.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story aluminum, glass and concrete structure. The older section is located on the east side. The older section has a central entrance with stone trim. The annex was remodeled in 1973. The new Entrance Pavilion section on the west side, is a dark glass structure and was built in 2007 and was completed in 2008. The architect was Larrison and Associates and the contractor was Tricon Construction of Dubuque.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1842. The second courthouse was designed by J C Cochrane and John W Ross and built by Lang & Moody in 1886 at a cost of $125,000. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,480,000.
N – Clinton County
E – Rock Island County, Illinois
S – Muscatine County
Photos taken 2008