Page County is named for John Page, who was a captain in the Mexican-American War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Taylor County
W – Fremont County
Created: February 24, 1847
Clarinda 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Clarinda
Location: 112 East Main Street / North 16th Street
Built: 1885 – 1887
Architect: Foster and Leibbe
Contractor: William Butler
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There is a one story stone portico on the first story. The west central section projects from the main building. A wide white colored cornice runs below the projecting eave. The windows on the second story are arched. In the center of the building is a high square white cupola with clock and steep roof having a fenced platform at the top. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County District Court of the 4 Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1991.
History: The county was created in 1847 and The Clarinda was selected as the county seat in 1853. first courthouse was built in 1853 and was destroyed by fire in 1858. The second courthouse was built in 1856 and the third courthouse was built in 1873 at a cost of $7,456. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $71,000 and was remodeled after a fire in 1991.
County Courthouse - Clarinda
Photos taken 2008