Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was a general in the American revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and who served as the first governor of Kentucky.
Created: January 15, 1851
Shelbyville 1855 – 1859
Harlan 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Harlan
Location: 612 Court Street / 7th Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Architect: Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: W H Cockerell
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff stone structure. The south front has a projecting archway with recessed entrance on the first story. The east and west sections project from the building and have peaked roof lines. White colored stone trim runs below the central roof line with small dormer above. The dome was removed in 1899. The contractor was Larsen Brothers.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1860 and the second courthouse was built at a cost of $4,250. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $62,734.
N – Crawford County
E – Audubon County
W – Harrison County
Photos taken 2008