Kossuth County is named for Lajos Kossuth, who was a Hungarian patriot and who lived from 1802 to 1894.
Created: January 18, 1851
Algona 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Algona
Location: 114 West State Street / North Hall Street
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: Dougher, Rich & Woodburn
Contractor: Fagre Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building has a higher section at the west side. The south front has vertical concrete dividers with smaller vertical dividers separating the windows. The entrance is towards the west side with a projecting overhang and glass walls. The roof line is flat.
Note: In 1866, the first courthouse was built at a cost of $800. The second courthouse was designed by M Mix and constructed by Peter Purvis in 1872 at a cost of $40,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $500,000.
S – Humboldt County
Photos taken 2008