Fremont County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Fremont County
Fremont

Fremont County is named for John Charles Fremont, who was a United States general, explorer and presidential candidate.

 

Created:  February 24, 1847

County Seat:

Austin   1850 – 1851

Sidney  1851 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sidney

 

Location:  506 Fillmore Street / Indiana Street

Built:  1889 – 1890

Style:  Early American and Romanesque

Architect:   S E Maxon

Contractor:  Harry Wales

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone  structure. The building has a small portico on the first story with eight short granite columns supporting three arches with pediment above. Behind the portico rises the three story square brick tower with dormers on the roof. A horizontal band of white stone runs above the first story windows and above the second story windows. The roof is hipped.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1860 at a cost of $40,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mills County

E – Page County  

S – Atchison County, Missouri

W – Otoe County, Nebraska and Cass County, Nebraska

 

 

 

0618i08

 

 

0619i08

 

 

0620i08

Photos taken 2008