Wabash County is named for the Wabash River, which is derived from the English spelling of the French name for the river “Ouabache” which was named after the Miami Indian word for the river “Wabashike” meaning “pure white” as the river bottom is white limestone.
Created: December 27, 1824
Centreville 1825 – 1829
Mount Carmel 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Carmel
Location: 401 North Market Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: John L Hagel of Evansville, Indiana
Contractor: W R Steele
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was rebuilt and replaced the old building built in 1880 to 1881. The building was remodeled in 1963. The building has a modern square line appearance. The north section of the building comes to the street. The entrance is recessed and has a one story covered porch. The south section is behind the entrance. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by James Higbee and built by A Holterback in 1881.
W – Edwards County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012