Lawrence County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Lawrence County
Lawrence

Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was the Commander of the “Chesapeake” during the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Richland County and Crawford County

E – Knox County, Indiana

S – Wabash County

W – Richland County 

 

Created:  January 16, 1821                                                        Map of Illinois highlighting Lawrence County

County Seat:

Lawrenceville  1821 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lawrenceville

 

Location:  1100 State Street / 12th Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  McDonald Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky

Contractor:  Benjamin F Trester of Aurora, Indiana

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lawrenceville. There is a small portico on the north front with balcony on the second story. The center section rises to the third story with pediment above. Behind is a high octagonal clock tower with green colored dome at the top. The walls of the raised basement are constructed of Indiana limestone from the Salem Stone Company, Salem, Indiana, while the walls of the second and third stories are pressed brick manufactured in Chester, Illinois. The entablature at the top of the second story consists of a wide, smooth limestone architrave with a copper cornice consisting of block modillions topped by crown molding. The staircase from the first floor open onto a hallway on the second floor. Above this hallway, hidden by the suspended ceiling, the stained glass skylight is located. The skylight measures approximately nine feet by twelve feet and is constructed of leaded, opalescent glass in varying shades of gold, tans, browns and green, all set in a cast iron hip shaped frame. While there are suspended ceilings throughout the second floor, the original ceilings remain above. On the north side of the hallway, double doors open into Courtroom A, and just to the east of these doors is a hallway extending north is a smaller Courtroom B. The building was renovated in 1910.

 

See:  The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

History:  The first court met April 14, 1821 at the home of Toussaint Dubois, Jr. Lawrenceville became the county seat and the first courthouse was erected by Joshua Bond in 1824 to 1826 at a cost of $2,500. The second courthouse was built in 1840 to 1842. The third and present courthouse was started in 1886 designed by J W Gaddis and constructed by Bippus and Kunzier but due to delays a new set of plans were adopted and construction continued from 1888 to 1889 with William M McCoy as the contractor, but he was released and Benjamin F Trester hired at a cost of $29,000.

 

 

1651i-i08

County Courthouse – Lawrenceville

 

 

x3

 

 

1653i-i08

 

 

1654i-i08

Photos taken 2008