Hamilton County is named for Alexander Hamilton, who was a revolutionary soldier and the first Secretary of the Treasury from 1789 to 1795.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Wayne County
E – White County
S – Saline County
Created: February 8, 1821
McLeansboro 1821 – present
County Courthouse – McLeansboro
Location: 100 South Jackson Street / Main Street
Built: 1937 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William R McCoy
Contractor: E A Brunson Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McLeansboro. In the center of each side of the square building is a protruding brick portico over a doorway on the first story and with gray colored stone trim over the doorway and over the windows on the second story. The base of the building is gray stone. The building was constructed under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
History: McLeansboro became the county seat in 1821 a log structure was built as the first courthouse. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1840. The courthouse burned in 1894. The county operated without a courthouse using rented premises. The third courthouse was constructed in 18937 to 1938.
County Courthouse - McLeansboro
Photos taken 2007 and 2012