Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a famed statesman and the United States ambassador to France during the American Revolution.
Created: January 2, 1818
Shawneetown 1818 – 1821
Frankfort 1821 – 1841
Benton 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Benton
Location: 1 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1874 – 1875
Style: French Norman
Architect: John J St. Clair of Benton
Contractor: John J St. Clair of Benton
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits in the center of the Public Square. The south front has a square red colored brick tower with mansard roof and two long narrow arched windows on the second story. Buff colored stone trim is along the corners of the building. On either side of the tower are one story dark red colored brick wings. Behind the tower, is a wider section connected to the wider main building. White colored cornices are along the roof line. Additions were added in 1960. The contractor was H H Hurley. The building was restored in 2005.
N – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012