White County

US States / H-L / Illinois / White County
White

White County is named for Leonard White, who was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1818.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wayne CountyEdwards County and Wabash County

E – Posey County, Indiana 

S – Gallatin County

W – Hamilton County

 

Created:  December 9, 1815                                                      Map of Illinois highlighting White County

County Seat:

Carmi  1815 – present

 

County Courthouse – Carmi

 

Location:  301 East Main Street / North Main Cross Street

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Clark & Pyne

Contractor:  A Hollenbach

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure.  The building is located in the center of Carmi. On the east side the roof rises to a peak with white colored gables and a band containing the date of the county establishment and date of the building. In the center of the south side is the recessed doorway with white stone across the header and on either side of the entrance. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

Note:  The second courthouse was built in 1828 for a cost of $3,000. In 1883 to 1884,  the building was expanded to 40 feet by 85 feet, incorporating the original structure and adding four offices and vaults, jury room, courtroom and gallery. The cost was $12,000. James Robert (“Dollar Bob”) Williams oversaw the renovation construction of the courthouse while serving as County Judge from 1882-1886. The land was donated in 1882 by John Montgomery Crebs, who was a colonel in the Illinois 87th infantry during the Civil War.

 

Old County Courthouse – Carmi

 

Location:  110  South Main Cross Street / Robinson Street

Built:  188144

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  John Craw

Contractor:  John Craw

 

Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Carmi. The northeast front has a central one story white colored wood portico. On the south is a lower section. The roof is hipped. Known as the Robinson-Stewart House and served as the first courthouse from 1815 to 1828. 

  

History:  Carmi became the county seat in 1815. The first courthouse was a log residence built by John Craw in 1814 which is still standing. The second courthouse was constructed by Allen Randolph in 1828. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884.

 

 

0088t12

County Courthouse – Carmi

 

 

0090t12

 

 

2384wv12

 

 

2387wv12

 

 

2386wv12

Photos taken 2007 and 2012