Gallatin County is named for Albert Gallatin, who was a financier and member of Congress from Pennsylvania.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – White County
S – Hardin County
W – Saline County
Created: September 14, 1812
Shawneetown 1812 – 1827
Equality 1827 – 1848
Shawneetown 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Shawneetown
Location: 484 North Lincoln Boulevard / McClemand Avenue
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Housing Authority of Gallatin County
Contractor: Works Progress Administration with local trades
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has three large recessed panels divided by white colored stone, with the entrance in the center panel. The roof is almost flat and sections on the east and west extend from the main building. The large courtroom is located in the center of the building on the first story.The building was constructed under the Works Progress Administration.
History: The county was created in 1812 and Shawneetown was selected as the county seat. The court first met in a residence and the first courthouse was erected in 1815. In 1827, the county seat was moved to Equality and in 1848, moved back to Shawneetow. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure erected in 1858. Due to a severe flood in 1937, the third and present courthouse was located in New Shawneetown and constructed in 1938 to 1939.
County Courthouse - Shawneetown
Commission Minutes – construction
Photos taken 2007 and 2012