Crawford County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Crawford County
Crawford

Crawford County is named for William H Crawford, who was the United States Treasury Secretary in 1818 or for William Crawford, who was a soldier in the French and Indian War and American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Clark County

E – Sullivan County, Indiana and Knox County, Indiana

S – Lawrence County and Richland County

W – Jasper County

 

Created:  December 31, 1816                                                    Map of Illinois highlighting Crawford County

County Seat:

Home of Edward N Cullom   1816 – 1818

Palestine                               1818 – 1843

Robinson                               1843 – present

 

County Courthouse – Robinson

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / East Main Street

Built:  1895 – 1896

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  John W Gaddis of Vincennes, Indiana

Contractor:  T J Morse of Indianapolis, Indiana

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Robinson. The north side has three stone trimmed arches on the first story with a balcony on the second story. Round towers rise to the top of the second story. On third story is a clock. The foundation is course stone and the roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. 

 

Note:  The building was damaged by fire on March 28, 1899. The basic plan was saved, but after a few years, county officials removed the tower and the turret peaks and installed a flat roof.

 

See:  The architect, John W Gaddis of Vincennes, Indiana also designed courthouses in Illinois in Wayne County, in Indiana in Clay County, Huntington County and Putnam County and in Missouri in Perry County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1816 and Palistine was selected as the county seat in 1818. The court first met at the home of Edward N Cullom in 1816. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1819 in Palestine. The second courthouse was a wood frame structure built in 1830 and was burned a short time after completion. The third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1832. In 1843, the county seat was moved to Robinson. The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built in 1844 at a cost of $4,200. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1895 to 1896.

 

 

1737i-i08

County Courthouse – Robinson

 

 

x_8

 

 

1738i-i08

 

 

1736i-i08

 

 

1740i-i08

 

 

1741i-i08

Photos taken 2008