Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was a general and the United States Secretary of War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Sullivan County and Greene County
E – Daviess County
S – Pike County and Gibson County
W – Wabash County, Illinois, Lawrence County, Illinois and Crawford County, Illinois
Created: June 20, 1790
Vincennes 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Vincennes
Location: 101 North 7th Street / Busseron Street
Built: 1873 – 1876
Style: Norman with Lombard and Tuscan detailing
Architect: Edwin May and Adolf Scherrer of Indianapolis
Contractor: F L Farman & Joseph K Frick
Description: The building faces north and is a three story cream colored limestone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Vincennes. The north front has three arches on the first story with arched balconies on the second and third stories. The walls are elaborately carved and ornamented with marble statues in appropriate niches, representing General George Rogers Clark, the Goddess of Liberty and a Federal soldier, and also two monumental tablets of marble on the front of the building. On the northwest corner is a high square tower with clock and square cupola at the top. On the other corners are shorter square towers with small arched windows and each tower has a different design.. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County Superior Court of the 25th Judicial District.
Note: Knox County was the first county created in Indiana in 1800 and Clark County was the second county having been created in 1801, but was the first county tio build a courthouse followed by Dearborn County in 1810. Knox County was the third in 1813.
See: The 25th Judicial District includes Davies County, Dubois County, Martin County, Perry County, Pike County and Spencer County.
History: The county was created in 1790 and Vincennes was selected as the county seat in 1800 when the Indiana Territory was formed. The Indiana Territory Capitol Building was built in 1800 to 1805. The county officers from 1790 to 1813 met in private homes. In 1813, the seat of the Indiana Territory was moved to Corydon. The first courthouse was a brick structure built by William Lindsay in 1813 at a cost of $3,156. The second courthouse was a brick structure built by John Moore in 1831 at a cost of $3,971. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1873 to 1876 at a cost of $362,000.
Indiana Territorial Capitol Building – Vincennes
Location: 1 Harrison Street / North 1st Street
Built: 1800 – 1805
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the northeast of the center of Vincennes at the Vincennes University.
Note: Vincennes was the original capital of the Indiana Territory which included Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and the eastern half of Minnesota from 1800 to 1809, the western half of Michigan from 1800 to 1805 and the eastern half of Michigan from 1803 to 1805.
County Courthouse - Vincennes
Indiana Territorial Capitol – Vincennes
Indiana Territorial Governor Residence “Grouseland” - Vincennes
Photos taken 2008