Edgar County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Edgar County
Edgar

Edgar County is named for John Edgar, who was a pioneer merchant, politician and a land speculator.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Vermilion County

E – Vermillion County, Indiana and Vigo County, Indiana

S – Clark County

W – Coles County and Douglas County

 

Created:  January 3, 1823                                                          Map of Illinois highlighting Edgar County

County Seat:

Paris  1823 – present

 

County Courthouse – Paris

 

Location:  115 West Court Street / North Main Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:   Henry Elliott

Contractor:  Hibbert Brothers

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored rough sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Paris. The entrances are at the corners of the building and have one story stone porticos with balcony above. On the center of the roof is large square white tower rising in tiers to an octagonal cupola with clock, white dome and a statue of Justice at the top. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

History:  In 1823, Paris was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was built by Ebenezer Center at a cost of $690. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Leander Munsell in 1832 at a cost of $4,250. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1891 to 1892 at a cost of $122,890.

 

 

1758i-i08

County Courthouse – Paris

 

 

1757i-i08

 

 

1763i-i08

 

 

1761i-i08

Photos taken 2008