Macon County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was the sixth Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and a United States Senator from North Carolina.
Created: January 19, 1829
Decatur 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Decatur
Location: 253 East Wood Street / Veteran’s Parkway
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Aschauer & Waggoner and Charles Harris
Contractor: J L Simmons Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a five story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has an east and west projecting section with one story section along the east and west sides. The central entrance is slightly recessed with vertical windows on either side. At the flat roof line is a large clock.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1829. The second courthouse was designed by Buckingham and Miller and constructed by Charles A Moses in 1892.
County Administration – Decatur
Location: 141 South Main Street / Wood Street
Description: The building faces south and is a eight story glass and concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
N – DeWit County
Photos taken 2010