Coles County is named for Edward Coles, who was the second Governor of the State of Illinois from 1822 to 1826.
Created: December 25, 1830
Charleston 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Charleston
Location: 651 Jackson Avenue / 6th Street
Built: 1898 – 1899
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Cornelius W Rapp
Contractor: S S Coehring and R R Fuller
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellow colored rough sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The entrances on each side have three stone trimmed arches on the first story. Above are large arched windows on the second story with a peaked roof above. On each corner are large square stone towers with peaked roofs. On the center of the roof rises a tall square clock tower with peaked roof.
N – Douglas County
Photos taken 2008