Moultrie County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Moultrie County
Moultrie

Moultrie County is named for William Moultrie, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War and who built Fort Moultrie.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Piatt County

E – Douglas County and Coles County 

S – Shelby County

W – Shelby County and Macon County

 

Created:  February 16, 1843                                                      Map of Illinois highlighting Moultrie County

County Seat:

East Nelson                   1844 – 1845

Sullivan                          1845 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sulivan

 

Location:  10 South Main Street / East Harrison Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Deal & Ginzel

Contractor:  H B Walter of Danville.

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story dark red colored brick  buff colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sullivan. On each side is a portico with arched stone entrance on the first story and with two tall Doric columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Above are pediments at the roof line. On the centre of the roof is a large green colored octagonal dome with clock and rounded roof. The first story is rough sandstone. Stone trim decorates the corners of the building. In the interior, corridors lead from each entrance into a spacious square center lobby and rotunds. The walls of the rotunds and corridors have Tennessee marble wainscoting. The walls of the rotunda are adorned with pastoral and harvest scenes. There are two banks of marble stairs at the south end. The Probate courtroom is on the second story and the Circuit Court courtooms are on the north sode of the third story.

 

See:  The contractor was H B Walter of Danville, also constructed courthouses in Clark County and Piatt County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Moultrie County Courthouse

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Champaign CountyDeWitt County, Douglas CountyMacon County and Piatt County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1843 and East Nelson was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the cabin of James Camfield in 1843. The county seat was moved to Sullivan ( Asa’s Point ) in 1845. The first courthouse was built in 1847. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on November 6, 1864. The second courthouse was built in 1865 to 1866. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1906 at a cost of $76,952.

 

 

1784i-i08

County Courthouse – Sulivan

 

 

1785i-i08

 

 

1787i-i08

 

 

1788i-i08

 

 

1791i-i08

 

 

1789i-i08

 

 

1790i-i08

Photos taken 2008