Custer County is named for the General Custer Mine, which was named after General George Armstrong Custer, who was a United States Army officer and who died at the Battle of Little Big Horn.
Created: January 8, 1881
Challis 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Challis
Location: 801 East Main Street / 9th Street
Built: 1945 – 1946
Style: Modern / Federal
Architect: J F Novachek Architectural Engineer
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting canopy on the first story with the entrance being recessed. Stone trim frames the windows and entrance on the center of the building. The east and west wings are one story. The building has a flat roof. The building was remodeled in 1952 and completed in 1953.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1922.
N – Lemhi County
E – Butte County
W – Valley County
Photos taken 2009