Lemhi County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Lemhi County
Lemhi

Lemhi County is named for Fort Lemhi ( Limhi ), which was a remote Mormon missionary settlement from 1855 to 1858 in Bannock and Shoshone territory.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Ravalli County, Montana 

E – Beaverhead County, Montana and Clark County

S – Clark County and Custer County

W – Valley County and Idaho County

 

Created:  January 9, 1869                                                          Map of Idaho highlighting Lemhi County

County Seat: 

Salmon  1869 – present

 

County Courthouse – Salmon 

 

Location:  206 Courthouse Drive / Lombard Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  C C Rittenhouse of Los Angles, California

Contractor:  W W Schults

 

Description:  The building  faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building sits on a landscaped hill in the center of Salmon. The northeast front has four tall columns rising to the top of second story with a header above. Rusticated stone trim compliments the brick. The first story entrance is framed with stone. At the roof line is a third story dormer with a Statue of Justice on the top by George Oxham of Ogden, Utah. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 7th Judicial District.  On the west side is a one story addition which houses the Sheriff’s Office. All the stone employed came from the Shoup quarry on Mud creek nearby.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lemhi County Courthouse

 

See:  The 7th Judicial District includes Bingham CountyBonneville CountyButte CountyClark CountyCuster CountyFremont CountyJefferson County, Madison County and Teton County.

 

First County Courthouse – Salmon 

 

1177wc22

 

Location:  301 Main Street / South Terrace Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Commercial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has commercial business on the first story. The second story has vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building was named as the McNutt Building and later known as McPherson’s Dry Goods . The County occupied the second story from 1901 to 1909. 

 

History: The county was created in 1869 and Salmon was selected as the county seat in 1869. The county used rented premises. In 1901, the county occupied the second story of the McNutt Building which is still standing at 301 Main Street and South Terrace Street. The present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910.

 

 

0550wc09

County Courthouse – Salmon

 

 

0557wc09

 

 

0554wc09

 

 

0553wc09

 

 

1157wc22

 

 

1162wc22

 

 

1163wc22

 

 

1164wc22

 

 

1166wc22

County District Court courtroom

 

 

1168wc22

 

 

1169wc22

 

 

1170wc22

 

 

1171wc22

 

 

1167wc22

 

 

1173wc22

 

 

0560wc09

Picture County Courthouse contactor W W Schults

 

 

0558wc09

 

 

1175wc22

Sheriff Office

 

 

1176wc22

 

 

1178wc22

First County Courthouse – Salmon

 

 

1179wc22

 

 

1180wc22

 

 

1181wc22

 

 

0545wc09

 

 

0544wc09

 

 

0542wc09

Photos taken 2009 and 2022