Blaine County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Blaine County
Blaine

Blaine County is named for James G Blaine, who was a United States Secretary of State.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Custer County and Butte County 

E – Bingham County and Power County

S – Cassia CountyMinidoka County and Lincoln County

W – Camas County and Elmore County

 

Created:  March 5, 1895                                                             Map of Idaho highlighting Blaine County

County Seat: 

Hailey  1895 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hailey 

 

Location:  206 1st Avenue South / East Croy Street

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Joseph Hawkins

Contractor:  Horace Greeley Knapp

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hailey. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hailey and stands on a raised cut-stone foundation. On the west front is a one story white colored porch with balcony above. The roof is hipped. In the interior, wooden stairs ascend to the second story courtroom.The building was remodeled in 1975. The building was renovated in 1986. The architect was Darryl McMillen & Curtis Kemp. The building is one of the oldest courthouse in Idaho which is still in use. 

 

Note:  Joseph Hawkins was awarded the contract to prepare the plans for the courthouse over a bid by Bacock Bewitt & Hunt. He also bid $40,200 to build the courthouse but Horace Greeley Knapp won the bid at $37,800.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Blaine County Courthouse

 

County Judicial Building – Hailey 

 

0512mi11

 

Location:  206 1st Avenue South / East Croy Street

Built:  1985 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Darryl McMillen & Curtis Kemp

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hailey on the east side of the courthouse. The east front has an over hanging canopy. The building is called the Douglas D Kramer Judicial Building. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 5th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Camas CountyCassia CountyGooding CountyJerome CountyLincoln CountyMinidoka County and Twin Falls County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1895 and Hailey was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884 when Hailey became the county seat for Alturas County replacing Rock Bar and in 1895 the county became Blaine County. The County Judicial Building was constructed in 1985 to 1986.

 

County Administration Building – Hailey 

 

095o12

 

Location:  219 1st Avenue South / East Croy Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Trout Architects of Boise

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The roof line is flat.

 

 

0507mi11

County Courthouse – Hailey

 

 

0504mi11

 

 

0503mi11

 

 

0506mi11

 

 

0505mi11

 

 

087o12

 

 

086o12

 

 

0508mi11

 

 

090o12

Commissioner Minutes 1883

 

 

0510mi11

County Judical Building -  Hailey

 

 

0511mi11

 

 

0513mi11

 

                       

094o12

County Administration Building – Hailey

Photos taken 2011 and 2012