Boise County is named for the Boise River, which was named by French Canadian explorers and trappers for the great variety of trees along its bank and “boise” is the French word for “wooded”.
Created: February 4, 1864
Idaho City 1864 – present
County Courthouse – Idaho City
Location: 419 Main Street / Wall Street
Architect: C S Kingsley and E A Kingsley
Contractor: C S Kingsley and E A Kingsley
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The building was constructed as a general store and was bought by the County in 1909. A porch extends around three sides and is supported by thin posts. The slanted roof is colored blue.
N – Valley County
S – Elmore County
Photos taken 2009