Pittsburg County is named for Pittsburgh a city in the State of Pennsylvania.
Created: July 16, 1907
McAlester 1907 – present
County Courthouse – McAlester
Location: 115 East Carl Albert Parkway / North 2nd Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Layton, Hicks & Forsyth
Contractor: Bailey-Burns Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1909. The building is “U” shaped with a recessed center section with four columns rising from the first story to the top of the second story and supporting a balcony on the third story. The three entrances are arched. The east and west wings extend to the street from the main building. There is a raised basement which has a rusticated facade of rough-cut granite blocks. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Architects In Partnership of Norman and the contractor was Atlas General Contractors, LLC of Bixby.
Note: The building was constructed as the Busby Hotel and in 1926 the building was remodeled as the court house.
See: The architect, Layton and Forsyth ( and associated firms ), designed courthouses in Beckham County, Carter County, Craig County, Creek County, Grady County, Greer County, Harmon County, Jefferson County, McIntosh County, Muskogee County, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma County and Washita County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Pittsburg County Courthouse
N – McIntosh County
Photos taken 2009