Washita County is named for the Washita River which flows through the county and which name is a Native American word meaning “good hunting grounds” and “sparkling silver water”.
Created: April 19, 1892
Cloud Chief 1892 – 1900
Cordell 1900 – present
County Courthouse – Cordell
Location: 111 East Main Street / College Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Layton, Wemyss, Smith and Hawk
Contractor: Donathan & Moore
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building has porticos on the east and west sides with four white Ionic columns rising to pediments. A white colored horizontal band runs below the first story windows. On the center of the roof is a round open dome with white colored columns and dome at the top.
Note: The impressive courthouse sits in the middle of the road. This unusual arrangement can be credited to A J Johnson and J C Harrel, who each donated half the land needed for a courthouse on either side of the section line later used to demark the highway.
See: The architect, Layton and Forsyth ( and associated firms ), designed courthouses in Beckham County, Carter County, Craig County, Creek County, Grady County, Greer County, Harmon County, Jefferson County, McIntosh County, Muskogee County, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma County and Pittsburg County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Washita County Courthouse
N – Custer County
E – Caddo County
S – Kiowa County
W – Beckham County
Photos taken 2010